June is Migraine and Headache Awareness Month in the United States. According to the American Migraine Association, over 36 million people
suffer from debilitating migraines. If you have unfortunately had a migraine in your life, you understand the pain and discomfort this type of headache brings. It can derail your entire day and cause you to have to put things off like socializing with friends, going in to work, and other daily activities. Finding the cause of your migraines can be done with medical imaging, but there are different ways you can determine what is triggering them. Here are a few ways in which migraines can affect you:
- The onset of a migraine can start anywhere between a few hours and a few days before the actual migraine attack. The American Migraine Foundation timelines four distinct stages of a migraine: the prodrome, aura, headache, and postdrome.
- The headache stage is the part where most migraine sufferers feel the most discomfort and pain and can last anywhere from four hours to three days.
- Every migraine sufferer experiences different symptoms during their episode, but some of the most commonly noted are extreme head pressure and pain, nausea, and sensitivity to light and sound.
- Additionally, one in five women will experience a migraine in their lifetime, whereas only one in 16 men will have one.
- Children are not immune to migraines either. One in 11 children will experience chronic headaches in adolescence.
If you are looking for migraine relief and your physician needs a better look at what is happening inside your body, turn to one of the best imaging centers in Flushing, NY, at Queens Dynamic Medical Imaging today. Schedule your appointment with us at (718) 507-8184.